Friday 18 April 2008

Auction tomorrow


Well, tomorrow is the day it all begins the AUCTION.



I guess it doesn't begin tomorrow, it began two Fridays ago when I was combing through the local SouthEast Advertiser, the local community paper. I carefully cut out about nine advertisements for flats and houses all with in our set out monetary range $0.00 to $350,000. Saturday after attending markets with my mother-in-law, I set out on my little red scooter and the refidex neatly tucked away in the back box.

The first property at 9:30 am was "the house." Tucked away off a little used street, right beside the M1 and busway was a perfect little home for two modern day workers. The agent kindly took my details and proceeded to tell me this was a circa 1910 workers cottage. The advertisement had said that it was badly in need of repair, and it is! I fell in love and although I dutifully looked at the eight other properties, nothing could get the cottage off my mind.

Saturday turned into Sunday and I draged my partner Mick around to have a look at the place. He liked what he saw, and I took this from him as, "ok, let's buy!"

Monday came and the building inspection appointment was made. Wednesday morning it would be done by Frank from Acumen Inspections. I could hardly contain myself.

Suddenly I was drafting the layout and figuring out what to do when. First clean up the yard, then paint the walls, put on a new roof, new floor, new wiring, then plumbing, the kitchen and at last the bathroom. In a couple of years we can raise the house, add another bedroom upstairs and an ensuite to the main bedroom, and then build a rumpus room, lock up garage and granny flat downstairs. All the while tending to the yard with indigenous landscaping and permaculture techniques. I had my mom on the phone and 10 minutes later my Dad was ready to hop on a 14 hour flight to give us his carpentry expertise. Were set! Then the waiting began.

The auction was still 12 days away. How would I survive, how much could I torture myself with thoughts of wall colours and lighting fixtures and flooring options?

Luckily I could see the house again and get some more information about exactly what it needs. The building inspector, Frank had a lot of negative things to say about the house, but he also said that it's ok and that we should buy it if were up to the work. Sure it had borers that have eaten the floor and the roof is the aluminium the original builders brought over from England a hundred years ago, but the bones are good. The wiring will probably short out if you plug a computer in and the plumbing is anything but up to grade, but we have tradie friends. The yard has two aluminium sheds, an old rusty chook house and a burnt out caravan, but two sets of hands and a large rubbish bin should take care of all of that.

So now it's the Friday before the auction and somehow I've made it with out turning into a complete wreck. Mick and I have ironed out exactly what plan of attack would be for us to create a home (includes me getting a puppy and chooks, since we would have a yard), how were going to pay for it all, and just how crazy I am. I must admit that last one is a common topic in our place. I continually tell him he's just as crazy for putting up with me, but the juries still out on that one.

Less than 24 hours to go and all I can do is sit here and wait, well, work a bit and wait. Mick's picking up the bank cheque in readiness of our winning bid. I have two great friends coming with me to the auction tomorrow to drag me away just incase the bidding goes out of our range and I can't stop. We might be house owners tomorrow!! ok, ok, I know there's the whole settlement thing to go through, but we'll make it though that come hell or high water, just have to get through the AUCTION.

No comments: